Mar 3, 2010

Remember Saturday morning cartoons?

I am probably dating myself with this post, but when I was a kid I really loved Saturday morning cartoons. They were something I looked forward to after a long week of school. Before the cartoons, I also remember watching the Schoolhouse Rock videos. They were Emmy-Award winning short videos that featured basic concepts of grammar, science and even math. The music was so catchy that I can still remember the lyrics in "Conjunction Junction" and "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here". I even recall learning a thing or two about grammar and the different parts of speech.

My own children have no idea about the novelty of watching cartoons only one morning a week or that the commercial breaks were educational. I searched around to give them an idea of what they were missing. I found some of the music and videos on YouTube. Here is one that brings back fond memories:



Grammar rules set to music, what a concept. ABC should bring back Schoolhouse Rock. How about cartoons only on Saturday mornings too?

No comments:

Post a Comment