Feb 8, 2010

Lessons Learned

It seems that the school-age rule I learned about not ending a sentence with a preposition is incorrect. According to the Chicago Manual of Style, a sentence can end in a preposition. I just recently discovered this, but unfortunately, I had already passed on some misinformation to my son. He is in the seventh grade and wrote a report on Ancient West Africa for school. He received an A and brought it him to show me. I was happy about the good grade but was curious about his work and so I read through the report. It was well done but I pointed out a few punctuation mistakes that his teacher had missed. I also commented on the incorrect use of a preposition at the end of the sentence shown here.

After I learned this bit of information about prepositions, I had to eat my words. I went back to him and told him I had made a mistake and that, in fact, there are instances when it grammatically correct to end a sentence with a preposition.

So in the end it was a lesson for both of us. One he learned much earlier than I did.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely story - your son will be proud of both you and himself!
    Have you read the monthly Q&A of Chicago Manual of Style Online? It is both informative and entertaining. Example:

    Q. I am writing a novel. How do I write a title of a song in the body of the work (caps, bold, underline, italics, etc.)? Example: The Zombies’ “She’s Not There” looped in his head.

    A. Noooo! Now that song is looping in my head (“but it’s too late to say you’re sorry . . .”). Use quotation marks. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Isao. I have not read Chicago Manual of Style Online since I have the hard copy but I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete